An exploratory talk that showcases how Android can deliver a beautiful experience to the user using material design principles and various framework APIs like gestures and spans. This talk walks the user through a collection of concrete examples of custom UI components and their implementations in my gesture driven Reddit app, Dank.
- Recreating Google Inbox’s UI for expandable descendant navigation
- Using nested scrolling APIs for building a comment sheet
- Building collapsible comments in RecyclerView by leveraging elevation APIs
- Designing a gesture for flick dismissing images
- Building a text editor that renders Markdown in real-time
Dank is open source and can be found on Github: github.com/saket/dank